Since 68% of American households have a pet, it’s smart to market any pet-friendly features when selling your home. Most people think of their pets like family. A study by the National Association of Realtors (NAR) revealed the home buying, selling, and owning experience has been greatly impacted by our love for our pets. This isn’t surprising considering that Americans spend over $72 billion on their pets each year.
The Power of Pets When Choosing the Right Home
- 89% of pet owners would not give up their pet due to a housing restriction
- 81% of Americans say their pets play a role in their housing situation
- 31% of animal owners did not make an offer on a home because it wasn’t a good fit for their pets
- 19% of Americans would consider moving for their pet
- 12% percent have moved for their pet
New home builders have actually begun installing retractable pet gates that tuck away neatly inside door jams as a highly requested feature in new homes to attract pet parents.
Home sellers should point out the features of their home that will attract pet owners:
- Fully fenced in backyard – (91% of pet owners ranked this as the most important pet feature)
- Locations of dog parks/walking paths/pet-friendly beaches in the area (71% ranked this as the top feature of any neighborhood they would consider)
- Proximity to veterinarians/groomers/pet supply stores (31%)
If you’re preparing to list, you can quickly and inexpensively create a dog-friendly backyard that can be marketed.
Americans love their pets and will look for pet-friendly features in the home they wish to buy, so take advantage of this knowledge by pointing out your home’s ability to meet their needs.
Want to buy or sell a pet-friendly home in greater Charleston, SC? Contact Susan Matthews, your 5-star Realtor with Coldwell Banker.